***Applications period closed. Position Hired 03/2014***
Want to put your people skills, event chops and operations know-how to work for leaders and causes you believe in?
Want to be part of a vibrant and diverse professional network at the frontier of technology and social change?
Want to spend your days with close-knit, whip-smart people (and zero jerks) who work very hard, and laugh a lot?
If you answered yes to all of the above, Web Of Change is hiring and we might be a good fit. We’re looking for a Managing Director to quarterback our work day-to-day. It’s a year-round role with flexible hours based wherever you like. If you’re up for a challenge, read on:
WHAT’S WEB OF CHANGE?
Founded in 2001 on a remote island off the west coast of Canada, Web of Change has come to own a unique role in the progressive movement: connecting leaders at the frontier of technology and social change.
Alumni of our flagship event — an annual, 5-day, invite-only retreat — are behind some of the most innovative digital work on the planet, making waves inside groups from Greenpeace to 350.org to Council of La Raza to the SEIU.
At our best, we are where committed practitioners come to up their game — to candidly share frontline experience, to reflect deeply on their impact, to find the network and meaning they need to become transformational leaders in their work.
The secret is out. We’re facing a surge in demand from our vibrant and diverse community — and an opportunity to professionalize and scale. Our new Managing Director will be key to this success.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As Managing Director, you will report right to the Board Chair, serve on our senior leadership team and play a critical role in achieving the Web Of Change mission.
Your job will be to quarterback all our work day-to-day.
More specifically, this focuses on three key areas:
- Events & Programs (40%) — producing transformative experiences for participants at the highest professional standard.
- Communications & Community Management (25%) — building relationships with vibrant and diverse change leaders, while modelling our values and deep commitment to diversity and inclusion. Learn more.
- Operations & Admin (25%) — creating seamless business systems and practices to meet the needs of a growing start-up.
As our only paid staff, you’ll be the hub to make this work happen. And you’ll have a team of generous, senior-level leaders across the industry to help. Beyond this, you’ll also conspire with the elected Board to shape Web Of Change’s future direction.
WHO YOU ARE
To be successful as Managing Director, you’ll be the (special) kind of person who (simultaneously) excels at:
- Building and maintaining strong relationships.
- Running high-stakes events with lots of strong personalities and moving parts.
- Sweating details so nothing falls through the cracks.
- Fostering diversity and inclusion in all you do.
- Wrangling people outside your orbit to get things done.
- Writing clear and friendly prose, popping with personality.
WHAT ELSE YOU SHOULD KNOW
This is a year-round position based anywhere you like, requiring approximately 30 hours per week. Workload will vary, peaking through the Spring and Summer in advance of our flagship event in September.
Your performance will be evaluated based on improvements in program quality, overall member experience and the smoothness of our operations. Fit with the Web Of Change culture will also be an important factor.
We strive to reflect the rich diversity of the communities we serve. People from communities that traditionally experience discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, sex, gender identity or expression, disability, religion or immigration status are especially encouraged to apply.
Compensation commensurate with skills and experience.
Send us your resume and, instead of a standard cover, please let us know (using less than 350 words!):
- How you heard about this position
- Why you’re interested in the job
- In which of the "three key areas” you think you’d most excel.
Please email everything in a single PDF to Tim Walker email@example.com with the subject line: Managing Director
We look forward to hearing from you!
***Applications due by Jan 15th***
Photo thanks to Jori.josmith